Laser printer use question

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 13:56:45 UTC 2013

2013/6/9 Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>:
> On Sunday 09 June 2013 08:43:53 Johnny Rosenberg did opine:
>
>> 2013/6/9 Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>:
>> > On Sunday 09 June 2013 07:41:47 Phil did opine:

>> > Well, if its actually stated in the sales propaganda, then before I
>> > clicked that button, I would for sure question someone at HP about
>> > it.  It wouldn't be the first time that HP has rigged something to
>> > expire so as to keep the sales channel activity up.  From my
>> > observations of their printers where all the brains are in the
>> > cartridge, I know very well that I've been forced to bin cartridges
>> > that were still half full or more, a timer in the cart had expired.
>>
>> That sounds horrible. I hope it's not true, but I wouldn't be
>> surprised if it is…
>> I can not see any signs of that in my printer though. The levels seems
>> to decrease linearly for every time I print, and the black one, which
>> I replaced a while ago, seemed to be empty, or next to empty, when I
>> replaced it. Those cartridges doesn't last nearly as long as those in
>> the old black and white laser printers in the 1990's though, which for
>> private use could last for lifetimes… And the are expensive. If I
>> replace all of them I have to pay more than I did for the printer
>> itself…
>>

>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> That, in the case of a laser, is a fact of life.  Remember when the drums
> would get scratched and it cost so much to replace them that it was almost
> cheaper to just buy a new printer?  I sure do.

Somewhat off topic: That kind of thing seems to be true not only for
printers. I remember when the rotating heads of my DAT recorder
(Digital Audio Tape recorder – anyone remember those…?) worn out.
Fixing that would cost as much as buying one of those cheaper DAT
recorders available back then. I didn't fix it, I just stopped using
it…

Johnny Rosenberg