Do certain systems hate Linux?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 8 15:31:46 UTC 2013

On 09/06/13 01:07, Shashank SVRSN wrote:
> On Saturday 08 June 2013 08:05 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 08/06/13 23:41, Shashank SVRSN wrote:
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> My friend always has some or the other problem when using Ubuntu.
>>> Earlier he used to complain 'slow Internet connectivity -- only in
>>> Ubuntu, not in Windows'. Now he changed to another ISP and new
>>> complaint is 'no Internet connectivity -- only in Ubuntu, not in
>>> Windows'.
>>>
>>> He used 'Linux Mint Live CD' too but in vain. My laptop never had a
>>> problem with his ISP. His system is a Sony Vaio VPCEH25EN. Sony
>>> being such a big company... I can't understand the reason
>>
>> Define "slow connectivity".
>>
>> Slow browsing - using which browser?
>>
>> Slow downloads of files to update system?
>>
>> What exactly is slow?
>>
>> BC
>>
> 'Slow' here means 'it takes lot of time to load any given web page
> when compared to that in Windows'
>
> Browser - Firefox..

Thanks for this snippet of information, and it looks like another case
of extracting info bit by bit :-) .

Which version of Firefox and which version of Ubuntu?

Has the cache in Firefox been cleared (ie, deleted - it will be
recreated when you start FF)? Often there may be something in the cache
which causes this slowness.

Are all sites affected or only some?

Is the connection done on dial-up or on broadband, and is the slowness
occurring at all hours or only during certain hours?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10.4 & kernel 3.9.4-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor