Ubuntu Preseed Raid 1 with multiple partitions

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 22:41:07 UTC 2013

On 3 June 2013 22:43, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It shouldn't make a difference these days but I'd choose to have
> "/boot" be a primary partition and be the first partition.

I used to do that, certainly, 10-15 years ago when it was needed.

The main raison d'etre for /boot is that in the old days, the kernel
had to be located entirely within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk
or the first (32MB|512MB) depending on BIOS.

This is no longer the case, so there is now no need for a separate
/boot. You cannot boot a system from a functioning /boot alone - you
need / as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884