Total Networking Failure after upgrade to 12.04LTS

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 18:39:48 UTC 2013

On 07/27/2013 10:32 PM, compdoc wrote:
>>  After a server upgrade from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS, which otherwise
> seemed very normal, networking is non-functional. Nothing works (ping,
> dns, ssh, etc). Cannot ping any address, even on the LAN, and the system
> is not pingable from other systems on the LAN.
>
> There is a file that has given me endless problems when I change network
> adaptors in my servers. The code that creates it and modifies it is not
> very robust, and sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands:
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> You might look at this file. Supposedly, if you delete the file, or
> delete the entries for your nics within the file, it should generate a
> new file or new entries. But this doesn't always happen, so don’t make
> changes without a backup.
>
> If you have two nics there should be two entries in that file. Often, it
> gets confused and you'll have more entries than you should. However, I
> don’t know how many entries you should see for bonded nics since I
> haven’t used a bonded pair in years.

Back in the olden days, he might have an IRQ issue as well. He might
want to look in his bios to see just what is what. If both of those NICS
are on the Mobo, he might have a bios setting to enable or disable one
or both. I'd disable one, just to reduce the overhead issues. If they
are addon's, I'd physically remove one. Then there is less confusion for
the OS to deal with. And, yes. Re-install using the live version from
the CD. For whatever reason, using the straight installer has a very
high network detection failure rate. Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /