Total Networking Failure after upgrade to 12.04LTS

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sun Jul 28 14:36:46 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 5:47 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > auto eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> >      address 10.10.0.2
> >      netmask 255.255.0.0
> >      network 10.10.0.0
> >      broadcast 10.10.255.255
> >      gateway 10.10.0.1
> >
> > Tried with eth0 and eth1. This file was unchanged during the upgrade.
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> Going back to your first email, you had a "What's been tried" and
> "Other factoids" sections.
>
> "Other factoids" section indicates that both eth0 and eth1 are
> detected at boot and are displayed by "ifconfig" or at least by
> "ifconfig -a". (FYI, "ip" is a better tool; ifconfig and friends are
> obsolete.)
>
> Did the steps that you took in "What's been tried" all fail?

Yep. In the sense that nothing ever worked as expected. They did produce
some interesting results, like ifconfig showing plenty of RX and TX values.

> Is your networking up with the "current, simplified revised version" above?

"Up" meaning working normally? No. Totally fubar. It looks ok in the sense
the interfaces come up and  look "normal" in ifconfig output, and there are
no errors reported anywhere. route output looks normal. But nothing
networking related "works". It acts like a misconfigured firewall that is
blocking all input and output.

> I'll assume that eth0 and eth1 are OK and that the answer to your last
> question is "yes."
>
> 1) Check that the bond and vlan modules are loadable. (This is on a 13.04
> box.)
>
> [root at localhost:~]# grep BONDING /boot/config-3.9-1-amd64
> CONFIG_BONDING=m
>
> [root at localhost:~]# grep 8021Q /boot/config-3.9-1-amd64
> CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q=m
> CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_GVRP=y
> # CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_MVRP is not set
>
> [root at localhost:~]# find /lib -name "*bond*"
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/bonding
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/bonding/bonding.ko
>
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/dec/tulip/winbond-840.ko
>
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/staging/comedi/drivers/comedi_bond.ko
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/winbond-cir.ko
>
> [root at localhost:~]#  find /lib -name "*8021q*"
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/net/8021q
> /lib/modules/3.9-1-amd64/kernel/net/8021q/8021q.ko
>
> 2) Set up a bond and no vlan.
>
> I've used your setup
>
> <begin>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet manual
> slaves eth0 eth1
> </end>
>
> on Debian. in fact I've used
>
> <begin>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
> auth eth1
> iface eth1 inet manual
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet static
> bond-slaves eth0 eth1
> </end>
>
> but I assume that it can work without "auto eth0" and auto eth1".
> However, I'm surprised that it can work without "iface eth0 inet
> manual" and "iface eth1 inet manual".
>
> <rant>
> "slaves" may or may not still be usable, but "bond-slaves" is the
> curent way. Like preseed, there's no comprehensive documentation of
> all the ifupdown settings. It must be "The Debian Way."
> </rant>
>
> But on Ubuntu with upstart, you have to define the bond in the slave
> stanzas:
>
> <begin>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet manual
> bond-master bond0
>
> auth eth1
> iface eth1 inet manual
> bond-master bond0
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet static
> bond-slaves none
> bond-mode active-backup
> address 10.10.0.2
> netmask 255.255.0.0
> gateway 10.10.0.1
> </end>
>
> Are bonding and networking functional?
>
> (Don't you specify a bonding mode? Does the bond default to
> active-backup if you don't specify one?)

> [...]

Thanks for all that on configs, bonding and vlan. As mentioned, these are
the original configs from before the upgrade. I've upgraded other systems
8.04->10.04->12.04 and the configs "worked".

The original configuration from before the upgrade (with vlan and bonding),
did not work initially. When I went to take the networking down that first
time to make a change, I got a 'no such device bond0', so I figured
something was borked with that set up and would need some reconfiguration
to get it working. And initially assumed that that was the problem. But
removing bonding, including rmmoding the module, did not help. And bonding
was a royal PITA the first time largely because of poor references.

In any case, for troubleshooting purposes in the meantime, I've tried to
get it down to the simplest possible configuration, and then rebuild the
other pieces later.  Thus, bonding and vlan are not in the current
configuration. Unless somehow the previous bonding configuration is causing
some other wierdness that is hiding somewhere.

Thanks!