How to run old linux code (32bit) on current ubuntu system?

Sajan Parikh sajan at noppix.com
Sat Jul 27 13:01:01 UTC 2013

On 07/27/2013 04:38 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some legacy binary code. Is there a way to run it on a current
> 64bit ubuntu system?
>
> ~$ file y
> y: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, not
> stripped
> ~$ ./y
> -bash: ./y: No such file or directory

You might get away by installing the 32bit libraries.

sajan at volus:~$ sudo apt-cache search ia32-libs
ia32-libs - ia32 shared libraries - transitional package
ia32-libs-multiarch - Multi-arch versions of former ia32-libraries
sajan at volus:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

--
Sajan Parikh
Owner, Noppix LLC

o: (563) 726-0371