Ubuntu Forums - FYI

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Jul 24 13:45:44 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 09:36 AM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> You're actually implying right now that LastPass is lying about how
> they are storing things, and are just 'slapping a sticker' on it?

No. I am saying "How do I know?"  There is a lot of badly done crypto
out there.  It is not easy to do it well.  How can you tell the
difference between the good stuff and "slapping a sticker on"? It matters.

Similarly, I'm not saying the next person I see on the street is
dishonest, but neither do I know whether he or she can be trusted to
return a large loan of cash on a mere smile and handshake.  How do I know?

> You 'super-encrypt', eh?

Yeah, sounds cool, doesn't it?  I think it also qualifies as a "term of
art" with a precise technical meaning. You could say "multiple
encryption" if you prefer.  Sounds stuffier to me.

-kb