Ubuntu Forums - FYI

Sajan Parikh sajan at noppix.com
Wed Jul 24 08:31:23 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 03:00 AM, pete smout wrote:
> You are right, until last year I still held by what I was taught 15-20
> years ago, not to write psswd's down! I learnt the hard way!!! Now I
> never use the same password twice and have a note book (paper one very
> 19th century) sat next to my PC with ALL psswd's noted in it, and all
> the important ones in my head (which of course you can never remember at
> the correct time, but that is my faulty software, and I am still trying
> to debug).
>
> Please I urge anyone on this list to change their passwords To something
> unique, it is *FAR LESS HASSLE THAN HAVING EVERYTHING HACKED* by some
> individual / company :)
>
> Pete

Why not use a service like LastPass?  Everything is encrypted/decrypted
client-side using your own, strong master password.  This makes it
ridiculously easy to have strong, 18 character, Alpha-numeric + symbols
passwords unique to each service and site.

We use LastPass enterprise and the secure notes feature to easily, and
securely share credentials.

I'm fairly sure we pay less than $30/yr or something as well.

**Before anyone replies to this with the inevitable, "why would you give
all your passwords to one company" response, please alleviate yourself
of ignorance and learn how LastPass actually works, and if you're not
too familiar with software and/or cryptography, please don't hate on
LastPass with some tinfoil hat theory.
--
Sajan Parikh
Owner, Noppix LLC