DNS entries

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jul 22 15:40:57 UTC 2013

On Monday 22 July 2013 11:20:17 R Kimber did opine:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:10:29 +0100
>
> R Kimber wrote:
> > > If I were you, I'd comment out all the eth0-related lines in
> > > "/etc/network/interfaces" and set up NM via its GUI.
> >
> > OK thanks.  I'll try that. first.
>
> That has worked - except that I'm getting a message on the desktop
> saying
>
> Wired network
> Disconnected - you are now offline
>
> This message appears for about 10 seconds and then disappears, only to
> reappear 10 seconds later.  How can I get rid of this?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with Mate.
>
> - Richard.

You installed from the wrong screen.  The first install requester you get
when booting from the install optical media results in a broken network.
It can be fixed, and I have fixed mine, but I caught a lot of hell for
doing it my way.  But I could also be the grandfather of some of the
youngsters giving me hell. :)  And I've been online since the color
computer mailing list was hosted on chestnut.edu!  Later half of the '80's.

So go back, and let it fully boot to the "try it out" screen, configure
your network to work from that screen, and then install from the install
icon that should be visible there.  Then the network settings made from a
fixed local address setup or DHCP WILL carry through to the install & it
all should Just Work(TM).

They also are apparently not overly concerned that the first time it asks
to install, very shortly after reading the disk the first time, is busted.
Claimed they had not encountered it, had to be something I had done.  Then
a few others chimed in to confirm.  So I tried to file a bug at launchpad,
but my pw had been expunged or whatever & the server refused to email a
reset address msg, so no bug has ever been filed that I'm aware of.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Eisenhower!!  Your mimeograph machine upsets my stomach!!
         law-abiding citizens.