Install ubuntu on PS3?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:28:25 UTC 2013

On 22 July 2013 15:17, Chen Liang <slimhigh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a PS3, and I wanna install ubuntu on it. I have seen a software
> called PS3Magic that help to install the Ubuntu on PS3. Do you guys have
> tried this? If it really works, I'll buy one.
>
> The software website: ps3magic.com

This site looks as dodgy as all hell. Run, don't walk, away from it.

The PS3 used to support Linux - constrained, limited Linux running
under a Sony hypervisor that stopped it directly accessing the
hardware - via a menu option called "Other OS". However, that was
removed as of version 3.21 of the firmware.

Either the app is a lie and a scam - which it looks like to me - or it
downgrades your PS3 to older firmware. If you *can* download the
firmware (and you possibly can't; many consumer electronics devices
only allow UP-grades, e.g. iPhones/iPads) then you don't need this
app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS

Also bear in mind, it's not an Intel device so you won't be running
x86 Ubuntu. That means no Flash, no Java, no nice media codecs, no
fancy proprietary 3D graphics drivers, etc.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884