DNS entries

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 21:07:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM, R Kimber <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:52:25 -0400
> Tom H wrote:

>> If you don't have "managed=true" in the "[ifupdown]" section of
>> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?
>>
>> If you don't, NM will ignore the NIC that you've defined and set up in
>> "/etc/network/interfaces".
>
> It was 'false'. I set it to 'true', but that didn't make any difference,
> except that now I get a persistent desktop message saying I'm offline -
> even though I'm not.
>>
>> How are you setting the DNS servers in "/etc/network/interfaces"?
>
> auto eth0
> #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>    dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
>    dns-search opendns.com

You shouldn't have "dns-search opendns.com" here.

Do you have a "dhcp=" or dns=" line in
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?

Is dnsmasq running?

What;s the output of "dig" (just "dig"?

If I were you, I'd comment out all the eth0-related lines in
"/etc/network/interfaces" and set up NM via its GUI.

Or I'd create the following file and chown+chmod it.

# vi /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eth0
[connection]
autoconnect=true
id=eth0
type=802-3-ethernet
uuid=<generate_with_'uuidgen'>
[ipv4]
ignore-auto-dns=true
dns=208.67.222.222;208.67.220.220;
method=auto
[ipv6]
method=auto

# chown root:root /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eth0

# chmod 0600 /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eth0

>> The only way that you can do so (using "dns-nameservers ...") is if
>> you have resolvconf running and "/etc/resolv.conf" is a symlink to
>> "/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf".
>
> There doesn't seem to be a resolvconf process according to ps

There's no resolvconf process. "resolvconf -u" is triggered by the
hooks of the various programs that have them.