DNS entries

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:52:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM, R Kimber <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I used to have opendns set up as my DNS.
>
> network manager still has opendns IP addresses in the relevant entry of the
> gui. Also /etc/network/interfaces has the opendns IPs.
>
> However, this has stopped working and I appear to be using my ISP DNS
>
> How do I get back to my previous situation of using opendns?

If you don't have "managed=true" in the "[ifupdown]" section of
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?

If you don't, NM will ignore the NIC that you've defined and set up in
"/etc/network/interfaces".

How are you setting the DNS servers in "/etc/network/interfaces"?

The only way that you can do so (using "dns-nameservers ...") is if
you have resolvconf running and "/etc/resolv.conf" is a symlink to
"/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf".

(If you don't use "dns-nameservers ...", you have to use
"/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/{head,base,tail}" to set the
nameservers in "/etc/resolv.conf", unless you want to use those that
you get via dhcp.)