firefox, trackers and ghostery

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Wed Jul 17 09:41:46 UTC 2013

On 17/07/13 08:24, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> [...]
>> also destroyed after the legal storage time has expired. Or that a
>> court order is needed to look into the footage. Society needs to have
>> assurance that these things are happening according to the law, and
>> that there is not some secret agreement made with a secret 'judge' in
>> a back room that it is okay from now till the end of time to look into
>> all information if there is some suspicion (there always is *some*
>> suspicion), and that the people storing the footage are not allowed to
>> talk to anyone about the fact that these things are happening.
>>
> I agree a court order should be required for a THIRD party (US Defense
> Department) to look at the footage.  However, if you walk onto my
> property and I log your IP address, browser version, screen resolution,
> and whatever else, that's my perogative and I can store that as long as
> I want.  The gas station owner has no obligation to destroy security
> footage.  He just does because he doesn't want/need to buy 10 hard
> drives a month.
>
> On the internet, we like to store data as long as possible because
> trends over the course of years and soon, decades, matters.
>> I'm very glad that mr. Snowden gave up his lazy life to show how wrong
>> things are already. Now we must have this discussion on how far all
>> this information gathering, storing, and analysing is allowed to go.
>>
>> That is too easy. Basically you are saying that companies are allowed
>> to make any demands that they seem fit in their contract with the
>> users. I beg to differ. I just want to buy a newspaper and read the
>> news, not get a private eye chasing me around for a week after buying
>> the paper. The government should make sure that I can just buy the
>> paper. Unfortunately they seem to have decided to join the companies
>> into stalking their citizens. That is why people are now taking all
>> the actions they can by themselves.
>>
> Really? "private eye chasing me around for a week", is that really how
> you would characterize what is actually happening?  That's the over
> hyping that I'm referring to.
>
> Also, if you want to do that, wear a hoodie and go buy one from the
> paper stand on the street corner.  Don't use the internet where you need
> to go through about 30 different parties to buy that paper. (ISP, IP
> transit providers, datacenter hosting the site, the site itself, the
> payment processor, etc.).
>> Maybe they are overhyped, but you can't blame them, in my opinion.
>> Their trust has been broken in a pretty bad way.
>>
> No, you can't blame them.  I'm not.  I just wish they didn't see people
> like me who use Google Analytics and other tracking software companies
> as the bad guys.  We have no interest in sharing our hard earned data
> with other organizations.  We keep it private to ourselves (and the
> company we use to retrive it obviously) so that we can make a better
> product for our customers.  Why would we want our competiters to have

I do not view you as a 'bad guy' for trying to improve the service you
offer your 'customers', but I am starting to view Google as a 'bad guy'.
For example for google to store searches to improve their search
algorithms is fine but why does it have to be linked to my IP?

> No, the only people you should be angry about are complete third
> parties.  So far, only the US Defense Department.  They are the only
> ones collecting data that have no reason or right to.  If you're buying
> a news article from me, you have a right and I have a right. You can't
> get made at either of those parties.  Go nuts on the Defense Department
> though.

You are quite correct and the citizens of the entire world should be
concerned by the huge breach of trust by the governments in the
countries that hold themselves up a shining light of the 'free world'.

> Yet the media want to make us the bad guys with headlines like...."How
> much data are you giving away by shopping online?" - The answer to that
> is..."The same as if you walked into a store!" In fact, less, because
> you're not interacting with any particular person who could memorize
> your face and personally identify you.

True except when you substitute face for IP then with the help of some
software your 'entire online' footprint becomes available to them.
Simply put you bought some bananas at store A, some milk and ice cream
at store B, Store A can then put 2 + 2 together and assume the you are
making banana smoothies when in-fact all you wanted was some bananas to
take for a snack at work tomorrow, some milk for a cup of coffee, and
ice cream for pudding! My point being that incorrect conclusions can be
made from the most innocent of activities!

> Thanks,
> Sajan Parikh

Pete