firefox, trackers and ghostery

Sajan Parikh sajan at noppix.com
Wed Jul 17 07:28:43 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 03:17 AM, pete smout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no problem with limited data gathering for the reasons
> described by our friendly web developer. The problem I have it it now
> (perhaps always has) goes way beyond this! I am reminded of the great
> trilogy by 'John Twelve Hawks' (which I will *not* provide a link to
> for fear of infringing some out-of-date copyright law!) when all data
> gathered from the web. as well as card transactions and your movements
> are tracked by 'The Vast Machine' and any deviation from your "normal"
> movements trigger an alert, which is then passed on to the
> authorities. I have no wish to live in this Orwellian nightmare.
>
> I agree that perhaps we are proverbially throwing the baby out with
> the bath water, but what choice does the ordinary citizen have? Our
> current governments (in both the UK & USA, and I am sure others as
> well) seem to be more about control than they appear to care about an
> individual persons liberty, and until this changes, I am sorry to our
> developer friend, but he will have to work a bit harder, but hopefully
> so will 'The Vast Machine'!
>
> Just the thoughts of a (now paranoid) citizen!
>
> Pete
May I ask in what out any individual's liberty has been infringed upon?
In what way have Governments imposed any sort of 'control' upon its
citizens with all of this?  Let's say PRISM began in 2007; How has your
life in terms of liberty or deliberate personal invasion changed since then?

Everybody things that there's some personal file that identifies
everyone by name and email address.  Sorry, but nobody is that special.
We're all just numbers and datapoints aggregated together.  Unless of
course you personally find time to fill out every survey you find.

Sajan Parikh