Are Enter Keys Coded Differently?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:45:54 UTC 2013

On 16 July 2013 08:16, Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl> wrote:
> On 2013-07-16 08:43, Colin Law wrote:

>>> I think you just answered your own question  :-P
>>

>> I don't understand.  Do you mean the Enter that terminates it /is/
>> included in the password?
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Well the machine needs to know when you are done typing the password, so
> there needs to be some termination. Same with the string stored in memory or
> on disk: it needs to have some termination. Whether that termination is the
> Enter code itself or some other code is not really relevant. But considering
> that, like you say, you can end entering a password with a mouseclick, it is
> not likely that the Enter code is the termination string.

That is what I thought, but that seems to be in contradiction to the
OP's experience that if he uses one key to enter it initially he has
to use the same key when he uses it later.

I did not see a reply from the OP indicating exactly what how he is
entering the password and into what application.

Colin