Are Enter Keys Coded Differently?

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Tue Jul 16 07:16:14 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-16 08:43, Colin Law wrote:
> On 15 July 2013 07:58, Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl> wrote:
>> On 2013-07-12 19:21, Colin Law wrote:
>>>

>>> Is it true then that when you create a password, the enter that
>>> terminates it is included in the password?  How would that work if
>>> you
>>> later provide it via a GUI, where you do not terminate it with a
>>> key,
>>> but by clicking a button?
>>>
>>> Colin
>>

>> I think you just answered your own question  :-P
>
> I don't understand.  Do you mean the Enter that terminates it /is/
> included in the password?
>
> Colin

Well the machine needs to know when you are done typing the password,
so there needs to be some termination. Same with the string stored in
memory or on disk: it needs to have some termination. Whether that
termination is the Enter code itself or some other code is not really
relevant. But considering that, like you say, you can end entering a
password with a mouseclick, it is not likely that the Enter code is the
termination string.

Best regards,
Patrick