firefox, trackers and ghostery

Sajan Parikh sajan at noppix.com
Tue Jul 16 00:41:46 UTC 2013

As a web developer, I have a slightly different view on things.  While I
still block third party analytics trackers and scripts, and think most
people in the know should, the level of outrage demonstrated by people
after the PRISM revelations is a bit unreasonable and they are taking
things a little too far in terms of perception.

If I own a website, let's say a news website (I've worked with and on
many), and I'm posting articles...It's not entirely unreasonable for me
to want to know my audience a bit better.  I want to know which of my
articles more people are reading, what pages they are visiting, what
sort of things they are commenting on, etc, etc.  All of this is not
unreasonable, it's data I would then use to produce better content for
the people visiting my site.

Now, how do I collect that data?  I could spend thousands of dollars and
build my own software to collect and analyze that data for me.  Or, like
most, I could use a third party service and their existing software to
collect that data about my visitors.

That's all it is.  Let me broaden this, if you're a business owner.
Before you spend a couple thousand dollars on a new marketing campaign,
wouldn't you want to know where your current customers are coming from?
The idea of that websites collect information is not new, nor unreasonable.

The internet is a public place.  If you want to be private, create your
own little sandbox and stay in there.

For example, our company doesn't want our emails to be snooped on.  So
we run our own mail server and encrypt our emails.  I don't understand
people who complain about privacy, then logon to GMail or Hotmail and
are willing to let the likes of Google and Microsoft handle all of their
email...while at the same time wanting to block tracking cookies.

You can't expect to go to a restaurant with a mask on.  If you frequent
any establishment or a website, that person is going to know a little
about you.  That's just how it is.

If you want to be completely private, don't use the internet or free
services on the internet.  There's a reason why businesses like ours run
our own mail servers, own VPNs, and DNS, etc, etc.

I understand not everyone can do that, but you don't get to walk into
the building of someone doing it for you with a mask on to prevent them
from seeing your face.

/rant

Sorry for the rant.  I might take some heat for this, but I will say
that I use the Abine Firefox plugin to prevent these cookies. However,
this isn't anything unreasonable to start putting your tinfoil hat on.

If someone wants to be angry about PRISM, the anger should be directed
toward the US Defense Department, who is the one SECRETLY taking and
collecting all this information from you.

You visiting CNN.com is not secretly taking anything from you, you're
walking onto their site...of course they are going to have security
camera footage of you.

Same as when you walk into a gas station, that record is kept by them
for a certain amount of time too.  However, you know that so it's okay.
Same thing here, you know CNN.com is doing this, and if you don't like
it don't use CNN.com.

It's the US Defense Department that's the only one doing this secretly.

/ I'm not a grumpy person, I promise.  I just think people are getting
overhyped on the wrong stuff.

Sajan Parikh
/Owner, Noppix LLC/

e: sajan at noppix.com