firefox, trackers and ghostery

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Jul 15 00:01:00 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 06:38:56PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 14 July 2013 18:36:34 pete smout did opine:
>
> > On 14/07/13 19:00, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > > I've posted in the past about how slow Firefox can be when it's
> > > difference: the addon "ghostery" that blocks "trackers," which their
> > > website defines as page elements - scripts, pixels, iframes, etc. -
> > > that are normally invisible to the user. What "trackers" seem to be
> > > all about is marketing, and apparently they've been wasting a lot of
> > > my time.
> > >
> > > http://www.ghostery.com
> > >
> > > What's especially interesting to me is a list that shows the trackers
> > > that have been blocked for each website I visit. For example, the
> > > intro page for cnn.com includes 10 such unwanted visitors with names
> > > like "Audience Science," "Dynamic Science," and "Scorecard Research."
> > > Fascinating stuff!
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Just to say +1 for ghostery!
> >
> > Since the prism revelations I am 'trying' to prevent the general
> > scooping of data, to at least make em work for it!
> >

> I just installed it, and it seems to work, but who is it sending data back
> to? You might want to check who they were recently bought out by.

It states plainly on the setup page. There's also a link for more info.

Just asking, but I always have the TANSTAAFL principle in mind.  Just
> like if you think the peanuts are free, check the price of the beer. :)

See my sig.

You might also be interested in who recently bought them out.

http://paidcontent.org/2010/01/19/419-ad-regulation-startup-better-advertising-buys-tracking-tool-ghostery/

                ---and---

http://purplebox.ghostery.com/?p=1016023438

--