firefox, trackers and ghostery

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 14 22:38:56 UTC 2013

On Sunday 14 July 2013 18:36:34 pete smout did opine:

> On 14/07/13 19:00, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I've posted in the past about how slow Firefox can be when it's
> > difference: the addon "ghostery" that blocks "trackers," which their
> > website defines as page elements - scripts, pixels, iframes, etc. -
> > that are normally invisible to the user. What "trackers" seem to be
> > all about is marketing, and apparently they've been wasting a lot of
> > my time.
> >
> > http://www.ghostery.com
> >
> > What's especially interesting to me is a list that shows the trackers
> > that have been blocked for each website I visit. For example, the
> > intro page for cnn.com includes 10 such unwanted visitors with names
> > like "Audience Science," "Dynamic Science," and "Scorecard Research."
> > Fascinating stuff!
>
> Hi
>
> Just to say +1 for ghostery!
>
> Since the prism revelations I am 'trying' to prevent the general
> scooping of data, to at least make em work for it!
>
> Pete

I just installed it, and it seems to work, but who is it sending data back
to?  Just asking, but I always have the TANSTAAFL principle in mind.  Just
like if you think the peanuts are free, check the price of the beer. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
If you stick your head in the sand, one thing is for sure, you're gonna
get your rear kicked.
         law-abiding citizens.