How to install 3.9 kernel on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 14 05:59:11 UTC 2013

On 11/07/13 17:49, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I don't think you can (easily) install RPM packages on a Debian
>>> derived distribution. Therefore a better location would be
>>> <http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/> where you can
>>> find the Ubuntu packages for kernel 3.10.
>> A quick search of the 'net produced quite a number of hits of which
>> this is one:
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/converting_rpm_to_deb_with_alien
> Right, you can make a deb package from a rpm package, so the files would
> be registered in the package database. I do know that and I used it for
> one or two applications in the past. But on the page you mentioned, I
> also found this warning:
>
> | However, you should keep in mind what the alien man page says:
> |
> | "alien should not be used to replace important system packages, like
> | init, libc, or other things that are essential for the functioning of
> | your system. Many of these packages are set up differently by the
> | different distributions, and packages from the different distributions
> | cannot be used interchangeably. In general, if you can't remove a
> | package without breaking your system, don't try to replace it with an
> | alien version."
>
> Therefore I doubt that it would work with kernel packages. How about
> e.g. the post-install scripts in the kernel package which update dkms
> modules, initrd and grub? I suppose they won't be included or work
> correctly.
>

> Nils

What you say sounds reasonable even though I understand that work is
being done all the time to standardise applications across all distros
and I would have thought that the most important component as the kernel
would be the very first to be get this attention.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.10.5 & kernel 3.10.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor