Trying to start kmail on a 12.04.2 install

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jul 12 15:38:21 UTC 2013

On Friday 12 July 2013 11:26:43 Nils Kassube did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > SpecialCollectionsRequestJob::slotResult "Unknown error. (Could not
> > create collection inbox resourceId: 2)"
> > kmail2(6840) MailCommon::Kernel::emergencyExit: "KMail encountered a
> > fatal error and will terminate now.
> > The error was:
> > Could not create collection inbox resourceId: 2"
> > ====================================
> >
> > Looks like a mysql thing?
>
> I'm not sure, but to me it looks more like kmail (or is it akonadi?) has
> problems creating something like the standard folders for the maildir
> tree. Considering your perms problems mentioned below, I would suggest
> to care about those first. You could make sure that you own everything
> in your $HOME with the command
>
> sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
>
> where you don't have to replace SUSER or $HOME because they are known to
> the shell already.
>
> > Now, bear in mind that in this case /home is a half terrabyte
> > partition on a different new drive, mounted via fstab using defaults.
> >
> >  Here are those 2 lines from the ubu12.4.2/etc/fstab:
> > UUID=748b01e1-ae7b-4b17-b8e9-c88429bcefbf /opt	ext4 	defaults
0
> > 0
> > UUID=7601432d-7a30-42a3-80b5-57f08ae71f2a /home	ext4	defaults
0
> > 0
> >
> > Am I losing my write perms with the above?
>
> No, the perms should come from the file system of your /home folder, not
> from the place where the partition is mounted. But could it be that your
> $HOME partition is mounted ro due to errors?

How would I check that, search dmesg right after the boot?

While I'm asking questions, what happened to /var/log/messages on 12..04,
it doesn't appear to exist.  If so, what has replaced it as the default bit
bucket for "messages" type stuff?

> Finally, if you have write access to your $HOME again and the kmail
> error persists, I would suggest to ask on the kubuntu-users [1] or
> kdepim-users [2] lists for help with the kmail problem.

kde-pim although I was subscribed, never accepted a post of mine, calling
it spam in the reject messages so I unsubbed, and now mail.kde.org is doing
the same thing, I have two messages, one a copy of my original post here,
being held for "moderator approval" there.  7 or 8 days now for the first
one.  Frustrating at best.

But I'll see if I can resub to kdepim-users again.