12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 9 16:44:08 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 09 July 2013 12:38:41 Avi Greenbury did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The question is, can NM and resolvconf be excised without excising the
> > rest of the system?  TBD. In any event their initiation scripts can
> > be nuked if found.
>
> You should be fine:
>
>     avi at fantastic:~$ apt-get --simulate remove network-manager
> resolvconf NOTE: This is only a simulation!
>           apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
>           Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
>           so don't depend on the relevance to the real current
> situation! Reading package lists... Done
>     Building dependency tree
>     Reading state information... Done
>     The following packages were automatically installed and are no
> longer required: libllvm3.1:i386 linux-headers-3.8.0-18
> linux-headers-3.8.0-18-generic linux-image-3.8.0-18-generic
> linux-image-extra-3.8.0-18-generic Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove
> them.
>     The following packages will be REMOVED
>       network-manager network-manager-gnome resolvconf ubuntu-minimal
>     0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 66 not upgraded.
>     Remv network-manager-gnome [0.9.8.0-1ubuntu2]
>     Remv network-manager [0.9.8.0-0ubuntu6]
>     Remv ubuntu-minimal [1.299]
>     Remv resolvconf [1.69ubuntu1]
>     avi at fantastic:~$

That doesn't look to be that bad. OTOH, IF I do the install from the fully
booted optical medium, it, as has been claimed Just works(TM). Not well
tested, but I assume I can just slam the existing /etc/hosts file with the
operational one and the rest of my local network would then just appear.
That would be just as satisfactory.

Thanks Avi.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
love,  n.:
	Love ties in a knot in the end of the rope.
         law-abiding citizens.