12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 9 16:21:44 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 09 July 2013 11:58:53 Dave Woyciesjes did opine:

> On 07/09/2013 08:56 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Tom H wrote:
> >> You can control resolv.conf via the configs of dhclient, ifupdown,
> >> and NM and "nail" it to be exactly what you want it to be. You have
> >> to use the tools with which you're provided rather than ignore them
> >> and try to get around them.
> >
> > Another option would be to uninstall NM and resolvconf and configure
> > the network manually like it was done in the good old days. Of course
> > this is not a general advice for a newcomer. But Gene has a rather
> > special setup and AIUI he has no use for NM and he knows how to setup
> > the config files.
>
> 	Yep, that's Gene. He doesn't seem to have a need for a gui at
all...

Chuckle.  Hi Dave. :)

That isn't quite true, gui's are nice if they expand the horizons of what
can be done with them. Kde gives you a menu with hundreds of ways to skin a
cat.  So did Gnome. Unity, which seems based on a list of favorites
someplace, and while I assume there is a facility to allow that to be
expanded, one would wind up with a main window that resembles my next door
neighbors W8 machine with so many icons covering the picture of her
grandchildren that she has to move some of them to get to the icon for the
one she wants to run.  That very quickly degenerates from eye candy into
"Butt Ugly".

My 2 cents of course.  That won't buy much today of course.

I suppose a windows escapee would feel right at home though.  But IMO, we
shouldn't be striving to be "like windows", but better, much better than
windows.  This is the sort of work screens we had on the amiga's running
AmigaDOS3.2 in the 90's, but now its July 2013  Can we not make some real,
usability progress other than increased color depth in 20 years?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
If you wait long enough, it will go away... after having done its damage.
If it was bad, it will be back.
         law-abiding citizens.