[Introduction] Start Ubuntu Project

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 18:45:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl> wrote:

> On 2013-07-04 19:18, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>> Dear members and users of Ubuntu and all its flavors,
>>
>> May I introduce myself?
>> May name is Ali (AKA Ali Linx and/or amjjawad) and I'm a Team Leader
>> in Lubuntu Team - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**amjjawad/<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>[1]
>>

>> I'd like to introduce a project that has been started since March,
>> 2013 but I did not get the time to send it to all of you, plus, it was
>> on the early stages. Now, I think this step is important as everyone
>> needs to be involved, IMHO :)
>>

>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/**
>> WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>[2]
>>

>> On the above link/Wiki Page, you will find all the details that you
>> need to know as of now.
>>
>> Regardless of the technical details of this project, myself and my
>> team (Lubuntu) think it is better that all the teams need to be
>> involved. This project has two major advantage.
>> 1- Provide a very good alternative for Windows XP Users.
>> 2- Spread the word of Ubuntu and all its flavor.
>>
>> Personally, whenever I want to start a project, I try to play on many
>> different lines. So, the big target is to reach Windows XP Users but
>> at the very same time, it will be a great way to spread the word even
>> to those who are using other versions of Windows like 7 and 8 :)
>>
>> It is time to reach to more people. It is the time to spread the word
>> of Linux. It is time to show our real strength.
>> Yes, we can do it. No doubt about that.
>>
>> If you are interested, you can find all the details
>>
>> here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/**Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/**
>> WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
>> [2]
>>

>> Also, please, feel free to contact me :)
>>
>> By the way, just to keep you up-to-date just in case you missed that.
>> The Council of Munich City in Germany is planning to distribute 2000
>> CDs of Lubuntu to the people of Munich.
>> The French Government has started to use Ubuntu on their Police Station.
>> The Spanish Government is planning to do the same.
>>
>> All these good news should motivate us to do more and give more so
>> let's have some fun, shall we?
>>
>> Thank you so much!
>>
>> --
>>
>>  "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>
>> BEST REGARDS,
>>
>> AMJJAWAD [1]
>>

> An admirable initiative, very good!

Thank you so much :)

> If I may place one comment though:

Of course, feel free :)

> I would not communicate to the XP users that they need to choose between 8
> options. They will not just be "dazzled", they will be confused!

This may NOT be communicated to them :)
I have mentioned that on the Wiki Page (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu).
This Wiki Page is for us. Windows XP Users will be confused the first
moment you will tell them: Please, check the Wiki Page. I'm not saying they
are stupid or something, NO. I'm just saying, they are not yet used to such
terms. So, we need to go easy on them.

> Just give them *one* very good option, which for them is probably the one
> that looks most like what they are already used to. If they like this
> enough, some of them will venture out to other flavours at their own
> intiative.

Indeed, that is the plan :)
However, I see no harm just to mention: "Hey, by the way, there are other
options, just in case you did not like this one." :)

> Most importantly, this one option should Just Work (tm) and Just Keep
> Working (tm), and also Just Do Everything They Want (tm).

Well, if truth to be told, IMHO, Lubuntu 'could be' the best alternative
for Windows XP Users. However, I guess it is better for them to decide. Our
job is to make the migration process as easy as possible However, IMHO, in
order to deliver the one and important message : Linux is NOT Windows, we
will let them to make that choice. This, will give them the first wake up
call. The first lesson. The first rule :) I think, IMHO, this is not
confusing as much as it is helpful. But, that is me and YMMV :)

What do XP users do? Browse internet, send emails, chat, download, create,
> view and print some office documents. Mind you, their friends and family
> will not all be switching at the same time, so if an uncle sends a
> powerpoint 2013 presentation it should Just Show Smoothly in "Smart Ubuntu"
> and not spend 30 seconds converting and then show half of the presentation
> in a chunky stop-and-go fashion. Now you and I both realise that this is
> not something Ubuntu can manage, but They Don't Know (tm) and They Don't
> Wanna Know (tm). Remember that!  So this will not be an easy task fixed
> with 90% marketing and 10% patching up a standard Ubuntu flavour, you'll
> need to do much more work than that.

You are right but again, please, don't think we will only use the text
mentioned on that wiki page :D
We will have much more pages and people who will explain whether in Real
Life or on the internet.
We know, this is not an easy task. In the same time we know it is fun and
challenge. This is, at least, how I think about it. Above all, if you ask
me, we are doing them a favor. If they want to pay money and upgrade for
Windows 7  or Windows 8 (if their machine can handle it) and/or buy new
machine so that they can use Windows 7 or Windows 8 (if their machine can't
handle that so New Machine + Pay for Microsoft).

> What do they hate? Virus scanners, malware scanners, updates, and other
> 'geeky stuff' that should really be under-the-hood instead of in-their-face.

We both know they don't have to worry about that anymore as long as they
will migrate to Linux ;)

> If you can make the install a one button click, after which everything
> will run smoothly, they will love it. If you ask more than 10 questions
> during install, they will start to sigh, no matter how easy the questions.

I may disagree with you. IMHO, the hardest part for them perhaps "Something
Else" if they choose that option.

Anyway, we will make their life easier. YouTube can be very helpful. Create
a video, upload it to YouTube, etc.
But yes, the easier the installation process will be, the better. However,
that means, we need different installer I have no idea if that possible or
not?
IMHO, better than spending time to create new thing, use the available and
give them some videos to explain that.

> If you ask anything complicated (network settings, partitioning, boot
> manager) you will at that point have lost them.

It depends :)
You are underestimating them a lot ;)

Remember that lots of people had to take a course to use Windows XP and
> still struggle to do simple stuff like sending an email.

Those are exist. However, they are not the majority. Old people are under
this category.

> If you can make something that is attractive to those persons, you will
> have a good product.

Indeed, that is the plan :)

> You will need to do better than Windows XP, just as good will not be good
> enough! Not easy, but XP is old, so it *can* be done.

XP is 10+ years old. If you are giving them:
1- Newer System (2013/2014)
2- Faster
3- Stable
4- Free
5- Etc etc etc

I think that is a good promoting points :D

> Please do keep us informed on this wonderful initiative :-)

Will sure do :)

Thank you for your email :)

--

*