dual boot problem

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Jul 8 01:31:05 UTC 2013

On 07/07/2013 09:10 PM, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have an HP laptop with win 8 and Ubuntu 1304 AMD 64 bit desktop,
> this morning I after a month of no use I tried this morning, to boot win
> 8 from grub menu
> and got
>
> Error: can't find command 'drivemap'
> Error: invalid EFI path
> press any key to continue
>
> This puts me back to the grub menu.
> Last time I used this machine both systems were working fine. Ubuntu
> 13.04 will boot and run ok
> only need to fix video driver (amd radeon) but can live with that at the
> moment.
> I rarely use win 8, but would be handy if I could use it now and again.
> If I re-install 13.04,
> would this be likely to fix the problem?
> Any advice would be very much appreciated,
> many thanks in advance.
> Take care
> Winton

If you have a repair disk for Windows, then run it. It should repair
Windows boot setup, and you will not be able to boot into Linux, but
that's fixable too: Run the install disk for the Linux distro, and
it should have a boot repair section, which you need to run. I don't
know how Ubuntu does it, but in PCLOS, for instance, you would run
"redo mbr." I don't know how to fix it without a Windows repair disk,
and I doubt that reinstalling Ubuntu would help.

(For anyone running this kind of dual boot that's still working,
Windows has a means of making a repair disk. You should do it now
if you don't have one!)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley