12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 7 19:03:12 UTC 2013

On Sunday 07 July 2013 14:51:09 pete smout did opine:

> On 07/07/13 18:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Works for me & about 20M other users.

> >> You've not given us much info, e.g. network config. You won't even
> >> disclose the LAN address. It's a private address FFS! There is
> >> absolutely zero security reason.
> >>
> >> I told you mine works with a nonzero 192.168.x.y address & you took
> >> it as an attempt to guess yours! WTF?
> >
> > 192.168.71.3 if that helps. Now, the text data entry boxes background
> > in this gnome-network-manager turns red when you have obviously made
> > a typu, but what color is it supposed to be when its happy?  All I've
> > ever seen is either red, or about the color of an orange, don't
> > recall ever seeing green.  Is that supposed to be telling me
> > something?

> >> Content-free.
> >
> > I moved a known good resolv.conf into /etc/ and made it immutable, I
> > thought that was rather clearly stated as to what I was going to do.

> >> I like it. So do many others. PEBCAK.
> >
> > Lemmings fleeing from windoze maybe? I've only owned a windoze machine
> > for about 6 months, when I bought a lappy to take on the road when I
> > was at some other tv station putting out technical fires. It got
> > mandrake installed on it 30 minutes after I'd rigged a place to set
> > it here in this midden heap.  To me, the windows install was there
> > ONLY to supply teh wireless driver, and when I found the windows
> > version of the driver also didn't work more than 30 seconds before it
> > disconnected, the whole drive was formatted for linux at the next
> > install.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am no new Ubuntu user (2008) so I started with Gnome, and hated Unity
> when it first arrived, but now I love it, and don't like Gnome (or KDE
> but nothings changed there!). FWIW I have installed 12.04 LTS on three
> machines and it Just works (TM).
> The only time I had any hassle with network config. is when I *did not*
> start the install from a live session (went straight to install rather
> than try Ubuntu). When starting install from live session with network
> settings put into the live system they get 'carried through' to the
> actual install.

Aha, the magic twanger clue maybe?  I booted to it, didn't check the
network, and went straight to the installer by clicking on it.
Interesting.  I'll remember that when I burn a new kubuntu dvd in a couple
hours, its coming in now.

> When I skipped the try Ubuntu option and went straight to install I had
> hassle setting up the network, and ended up installing again from live
> session! Perhaps this is a bug in the installer, I don't know, because I
> am sure many people have installed this way with no hassle.

> I understand your frustration as networking is absolutely integral to
> the way we all use our machines today and should work out of the box -
> so to speak, and when it doesn't it is the most frustrating thing in the
> world for all of 20 mins whilst you re-install and get it sorted.

In my case, I screwed around with it for several hours and several reboots,
finally getting the magic clue when I had copied in a known good
resolv.conf, rebooted and found it had been over-written with a do not edit
message in the comment lines but then contained no active lines.  That to
me was what got me to go off on Liam, calling it industrial sabotage.

So I now have 3 days worth of screwing around with this, and an iso of
kubuntu coming in, so 2 days worth of copying all my data (about 40Gb
worth) across is going to get blown away with a fresh install.  Heck, in
those 2 days I also managed to setup, build, and install a working version
of LinuxCNC running on a much newer xenomai patched kernel, so I'll even
have to do that all over again.

Thanks Pete.
> Regards
>
> Pete

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
The mosquito exists to keep the mighty humble.
         law-abiding citizens.