12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jul 7 18:50:21 UTC 2013

On Sunday 07 July 2013 14:46:37 Colin Law did opine:

> On 7 July 2013 14:17, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > My whole point in that is:  If it cannot do the job its purported to
> > be assigned, how did it ever get past QC?
>
> I don't think others have this problem so it must be something
> specific to your setup.
>
> > At no point here, has anyone offered to help me understand how to do
> > such a mundane thing as make the networking actually work, when the
> > user/installer has no access to the apply button in the gui tools
> > provided.
>
> If you boot off the live CD/USB and select Try Ubuntu (rather than
> going for the install) can you access the network?
>
> Colin

One other item of interest, only one client is recognized for dhcp service
in my router where the server is enabled, but no service is offered unless
the MAC address is the right one.  And that is set to match my lappy,
everything else here is hosts file defined.  I can disarm that of course,
but its part of my security model.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views