12.04.2 LTS, new install, network broken

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Sun Jul 7 18:01:45 UTC 2013

On 07/07/13 18:06, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 07 July 2013 12:35:59 Liam Proven did opine:
>
>> On 7 July 2013 14:17, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> On Sunday 07 July 2013 09:01:05 Liam Proven did opine:

>>> My whole point in that is:  If it cannot do the job its purported to
>>> be assigned, how did it ever get past QC?
>>
>> Works for me & about 20M other users.
>>
>>> At no point here, has anyone offered to help me understand how to do
>>> such a mundane thing as make the networking actually work, when the
>>> user/installer has no access to the apply button in the gui tools
>>> provided.
>>
>> You've not given us much info, e.g. network config. You won't even
>> disclose the LAN address. It's a private address FFS! There is
>> absolutely zero security reason.
>>
>> I told you mine works with a nonzero 192.168.x.y address & you took it
>> as an attempt to guess yours! WTF?
>
> 192.168.71.3 if that helps. Now, the text data entry boxes background in
> this gnome-network-manager turns red when you have obviously made a typu,
> but what color is it supposed to be when its happy?  All I've ever seen is
> either red, or about the color of an orange, don't recall ever seeing
> green.  Is that supposed to be telling me something?
>
>>> All I have been told to do is undo that which I did, and which works.
>>
>> Content-free.
>
> I moved a known good resolv.conf into /etc/ and made it immutable, I
> thought that was rather clearly stated as to what I was going to do.
>
>>> I know things change, hopefully to work even better, but regressive
>>> change is not progress.  This "Unity" you called it is regressive.
>>> Eye candy with no purpose that I have been able to detect.
>>
>> I like it. So do many others. PEBCAK.
>
> Lemmings fleeing from windoze maybe? I've only owned a windoze machine for
> about 6 months, when I bought a lappy to take on the road when I was at
> some other tv station putting out technical fires. It got mandrake
> installed on it 30 minutes after I'd rigged a place to set it here in this
> midden heap.  To me, the windows install was there ONLY to supply teh
> wireless driver, and when I found the windows version of the driver also
> didn't work more than 30 seconds before it disconnected, the whole drive
> was formatted for linux at the next install.

Hi,

I am no new Ubuntu user (2008) so I started with Gnome, and hated Unity
when it first arrived, but now I love it, and don't like Gnome (or KDE
but nothings changed there!). FWIW I have installed 12.04 LTS on three
machines and it Just works (TM).
The only time I had any hassle with network config. is when I *did not*
start the install from a live session (went straight to install rather
than try Ubuntu). When starting install from live session with network
settings put into the live system they get 'carried through' to the
actual install.

When I skipped the try Ubuntu option and went straight to install I had
hassle setting up the network, and ended up installing again from live
session! Perhaps this is a bug in the installer, I don't know, because I
am sure many people have installed this way with no hassle.

I understand your frustration as networking is absolutely integral to
the way we all use our machines today and should work out of the box -
so to speak, and when it doesn't it is the most frustrating thing in the
world for all of 20 mins whilst you re-install and get it sorted.

Regards

Pete