[Introduction] Start Ubuntu Project

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Fri Jul 5 15:08:33 UTC 2013

On 05/07/13 07:52, Patrick Asselman wrote:
> On 2013-07-04 19:18, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>> Dear members and users of Ubuntu and all its flavors,
>>
>> May I introduce myself?
>> May name is Ali (AKA Ali Linx and/or amjjawad) and I'm a Team Leader
>> in Lubuntu Team - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/ [1]
>>
>> I'd like to introduce a project that has been started since March,
>> 2013 but I did not get the time to send it to all of you, plus, it was
>> on the early stages. Now, I think this step is important as everyone
>> needs to be involved, IMHO :)
>>

>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu
>> [2]
>>
>> On the above link/Wiki Page, you will find all the details that you
>> need to know as of now.
>>
>> Regardless of the technical details of this project, myself and my
>> team (Lubuntu) think it is better that all the teams need to be
>> involved. This project has two major advantage.
>> 1- Provide a very good alternative for Windows XP Users.
>> 2- Spread the word of Ubuntu and all its flavor.
>>
>> Personally, whenever I want to start a project, I try to play on many
>> different lines. So, the big target is to reach Windows XP Users but
>> at the very same time, it will be a great way to spread the word even
>> to those who are using other versions of Windows like 7 and 8 :)
>>
>> It is time to reach to more people. It is the time to spread the word
>> of Linux. It is time to show our real strength.
>> Yes, we can do it. No doubt about that.
>>
>> If you are interested, you can find all the details
>>
>> here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu
>>
>> [2]
>>
>> Also, please, feel free to contact me :)
>>
>> By the way, just to keep you up-to-date just in case you missed that.
>> The Council of Munich City in Germany is planning to distribute 2000
>> CDs of Lubuntu to the people of Munich.
>> The French Government has started to use Ubuntu on their Police Station.
>> The Spanish Government is planning to do the same.
>>
>> All these good news should motivate us to do more and give more so
>> let's have some fun, shall we?
>>
>> Thank you so much!
>>
>> --
>>
>>  "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>
>> BEST REGARDS,
>>
>> AMJJAWAD [1]
>
> An admirable initiative, very good!
>
> If I may place one comment though: I would not communicate to the XP
> users that they need to choose between 8 options. They will not just be
> "dazzled", they will be confused! Just give them *one* very good option,
> which for them is probably the one that looks most like what they are
> already used to. If they like this enough, some of them will venture out
> to other flavours at their own intiative.
>
> Most importantly, this one option should Just Work (tm) and Just Keep
> Working (tm), and also Just Do Everything They Want (tm).
>
> What do XP users do? Browse internet, send emails, chat, download,
> [...]
Hi,

I agree withe the idea, and I will offer all the time and help I have to
this goal. However I do feel 8 options is too many, particularly to the
numerous small and medium size businesses who 'just want to do their job'.

I wonder if a XP lookalike styled GUI is the answer, then we can through
links and references in the help / wiki introduce the far more efficient
GUI's we all know and love / hate & debate about regularly :)

My reasoning for the above argument is that business users will not have
/ wont to devote the time / money into retraining everyone who comes
into contact with a PC in their working life. (Even if that training can
be done in 10 mins that still adds up over the whole company to alot of
lost man hours!)

I will meet you on the start ubuntu page and discuss this further!

Hope to see some more people off this list their, to grab this valuable
opportunity to educate / empower people to leave the world of overpriced
software and tech support behind and move the economy forward.

Pete S