Ubuntu Installer borks up partitions?

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Thu Jul 4 15:37:07 UTC 2013

Quoting Tom H (tomh0665 at gmail.com):

> > And there i'm stuck.
>
> You're starting your logical partition outside the extended partition:
> Adding logical partition 5
> First sector (503806-207257599, default 503806): 501760

Yeah. I know.

Did you read my entire email or just the part where i tried specifying a
sector outside the extended partition?
The example was just to illustrate that it is impossible to (re)create a
partition layout that has been created by the Ubuntu installer.

> > Other fdisk tools like sfdisk complain about the Ubuntu Installer
> > provided partition layout having an 'extended partition [that] does
> > not start at a cylinder boundary'. Its output is:
> > | sfdisk: Warning: extended partition does not start at a cylinder boundary.
> Did you use "sfdisk -uC -l"?! Make sure that you use "sfdisk -uS -l"
> (or "sfdisk -uB -l", "sfdisk -uM -l").

Still 'sfdisk' complains about "Warning: extended partition does not
start at a cylinder boundary."

The problem is there's something wrong with the partition layout created
by the Ubuntu installer.

Thanks,
-Sndr.