Invisible Windows

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jul 1 02:23:21 UTC 2013

On Sunday 30 June 2013 22:13:46 scott did opine:

> On 06/30/2013 12:28 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 05:32:09PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> On Friday 28 June 2013 17:29:20 Robert Holtzman did opine:

> >> If you can find one, yes, with a slightly more limited version
> >> unless the GL has 4+ gigs of flash.  At least that is my
> >> understanding of it.
> >
> > Didn't know they were in short supply/discontinued.

> >> The firmware Bob.  Its a bullet proof firewall that is also
> >> transparent to what you want to do.
> >
> > Thanks for the information.
>
> Just remember that nothing is bullet proof. Make sure you update the
> DD-WRT image on the router. Just as you would on your linux, or
> whatever other OS you happen to use, computer.
>
> Just a thought after reading through this thread,
>   Scott

That goes without saying, doubly so for this particular router which came
with a Buffalo branded version of DD-WRT.  Unforch, their branding also
covered one of the configuration options, so I was advised to install the
real DD-WRT on it, which I did.  There have not been any exploits on it
that I am aware of.  The last exploit I know about was about 3 years ago,
and affected only the x86 version which some of us had been putting on a cf
card and reusing old 400mhz x86 boxes with two nics in them to make the
home made version.  Headless and driveless, but I did eventually get tired
of listening to the cooling fans & decided to reduce my power bill by
spending it on the Buffalo Netfinity, which came with DD-WRT, but as noted
above, the branding disabled a required function. So mine is running the
real thing now.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views