monitor issue

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 18:10:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Jimmy Bradley <bmobile40 at ocellaris.net> wrote:
> I"m running Ubuntu 12.10.
> I've hooked the pc up to our 42 inch samsung plasma tv, via the pc
> monitor connection on the back of the tv. I have a ton of movies and tv
> shows stored on the machine.
> The problem I'm having, and haven't been able to solve is, if I don't at
> least move the mouse about every 5 to 10 minutes, the tv screen goes
> blank, even when I'm playing a video file. It's acting like it would if
> the machine was sitting idle.
> I've gone into the power management settings and have all the power save
> settings set to " never" or "don't suspend" and it hasn't made any
> difference. I've tried hooking the machine up to a pc monitor, and it
> does the same thing.
> Does anyone by chance know how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

I have an Xubuntu setup with Freevo running to our TV.  I had to set
the following from the command line:

xset -dpms
xset s off

where to put that really depends on your setup.  In my case, I am
using ratposion for the GUI, so I put it in /etc/ratpoisonrc.

You can try by just running the commands from the command line first
and then if they seem to help, have them run at startup.

The first one turns of dpms (energy saving features) the second turns
screensavers off.