reducing size of an image in gimp

Mark Widdicombe markwiddicombe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:18:51 UTC 2013

On 24 January 2013 12:13, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As per an exam requirement mentioned here
> http://ibpsreg.sifyitest.com/cwespljan13/photoupload_static.php
> I have to submit two photos who size should
> 1) Size of the file should be between 20kb-50kb.
> 2) Size of the file should be between 10kb - 20kb.
>
> I have my scanned photos which have been cropped but the image is of
> 139 kb size which I have to
> reduce in between 20kb - 50 kb image size less than 20kb is not
> acceptable (I have tried the system generated an error)
>
> the programm I am using is gimp is there any other program for the same?
> If this is possible in gimp then how to do so?
I don't have it here at work, so what I'm telling you is from my senile memory.

1.  Open the photo in GIMP.

2. Click Save as..

3. Select jpg in the file type box at the bottom.

4. Then reduce the quality slider.  It won't tell you the resulting
size of the image--you'll have to use trial and error till you get it
right.  Just save the file to a different name to the original photo.

Regards,
Mark