Seeking Help

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:03:39 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 04:33 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 January 2013 06:13, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>>> Sorry Basil but that is rubbish.  The iso image for the desktop
>>> install includes the vast majority of the files needed for install.  I
>>> installed on a machine from the iso a few days ago and with an
>>> internet connection of only 1.5Mbps it only spent about 20 mins, if I
>>> remember correctly, downloading stuff after doing the file copying
>>> from the image (I was actually installing from USB stick rather than
>>> DVD but the image is the same).
>>

>> Actually talking about a DVD as mentioned by the OP or even yourself is a
>> misnomer because Ubuntu 12.10 iso is only 790,646,263 bytes big and, of
>> course, won't fit onto a normal CD and has to be, therefore, burned onto a
>> 4.7GB DVD. Which is what I had to do and which is what I told someone a
>> while ago when he said that he couldn't burn the iso to a CD.
>>
>> Here is a screenshot of part of the file list of the files for the 12.10
>> release of Ubuntu:
>>
>> http://susepaste.org/38468117
>>

>> When I talk about a DVD I am talking about ~4.3GB of system files which fit
>> onto a 4.7GB DVD - so in this discussion there has been a lack of definition
>> of terms which has led to confusion and claims of "rubbish".
>
> A DVD is a DVD.  You stated " As far as I am aware, the only REAL and
> painless way to install Ubuntu from a DVD is to buy the DVD from a
> place such as On-Disk.com".  That is what I said was rubbish.  The
> vast majority download the Ubuntu iso, burn it to a dvd (as you
> correctly say the latest desktop images are too large to fit on a CD)
> or a usb stick and install from that, accepting a few tens of minutes
> downloading on any half decent internet connection.
>

>> The "CD/DVD" is a Live version of 12.10 with the ability to also install
>> 12.10.
>>
>> The file which holds the system is called filesystem.squashfs and is
>> 733.284Kb big - which is why you had to use the internet for 20 minutes to
>> download the necessary files.
>>
>> There is a well known and very well respected member of this mail list who
>> has been promoting the idea that people who are having hassles with
>> downloading the necessary files using the internet (whether they had poor
>> quality connections or even using dial-up) to buy a DVD - I repeat DVD -
>> from the site I mentioned because it contained *all* the files necessary to
>> install Ubuntu. In writing what I did I was repeating what has been written
>> many times before (and you obviously missed reading those posts).

 From what I gathered in this thread, the OP experienced some huge
amount of lag during the update portion of the install. Been there, done
that and bought the T-shirt. Plus, my connection is prone to blow up if
a rain-sodden cloud passes over head. FOR MY INSTANCE, I order the
chock-full DVD that on-disk offers. You have to look for it, as they
will sell you a standard ISO installed to a DVD. Big difference. I look
for the re-spin and it is ~fairly~ up to date. The guy that runs this
little company returns emails personally and does a very good job for
cheap.

I had trouble getting through to his site and emailed him about it. He
wrote back and mentioned that Bling's spiders were eating away at his
bandwidth!! HA! Nice for the owner to share! So, that's why I advise
using the his service. He's one of us. If this doesn't help the OP, well
,,,it might save someone else. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html