How to decide which to use of many printer drivers offered by CUPS

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 19:32:54 UTC 2013

On 01/20/2013 05:06 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I have an HP1320 printer, when I install it in CUPS I am offered a whole
> list of different drivers for it:-
>
>      HP Laserjet 1320 Foomatic/Postscript (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended) (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 hpijs, 3.12.6 (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 Series hpijs pcl3, 3.12.6 (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 series Postscript (recommended) (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 series Postscript (recommended) (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320 series Postscript (recommended) (en)
>      HP Laserjet 1320, hpcups 3.12.6 (en)
>
> How do I decide which one to use?  Does it matter?  Are these actually
> all different in some way?
>
> (... and, yes, that Postscript one is repeated three times)

Actually I would recommend you use the following driver

HP LaserJet 1320 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1

With Ubuntu 12.04 LTS  I had trouble with Inkscape  and some
other applications failing to print ( CUPS would show the
job complete but nothing happened ) before I changed to this
driver. I think you have to install
printer-driver-gutenprint package to get this option  Sorry
it has been several months since I dealt with this so the
details are getting fuzzy. With 10.04 LTS I just used the
postscript driver.

                       Linda