machine load extreme peaking for short periods....mouse not moving etc.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 17 20:25:14 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 05:19 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 09:43 PM, Peter Teuben wrote:
>>
>> free
>>               total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:       3743260    3495904     247356          0      27360     755152
>> -/+ buffers/cache:    2713392    1029868
>> Swap:      3918844    1451692    2467152
>>

>> cat /proc/meminfo
>> MemTotal:        3743260 kB
>> MemFree:          277100 kB
>> Buffers:           27108 kB
>> Cached:           752332 kB
>> SwapCached:       329216 kB
>> Active:          2145832 kB
>> Inactive:        1032840 kB
>> Active(anon):    1941936 kB
>> Inactive(anon):   900320 kB
>> Active(file):     203896 kB
>> Inactive(file):   132520 kB
>> Unevictable:         120 kB
>> Mlocked:             120 kB
>> SwapTotal:       3918844 kB
>> SwapFree:        2467096 kB
>> Dirty:                52 kB
>> Writeback:             0 kB
>> AnonPages:       2189272 kB
>> Mapped:           184252 kB
>> Shmem:            442996 kB
>> Slab:             106148 kB
>> SReclaimable:      50592 kB
>> SUnreclaim:        55556 kB
>> KernelStack:        5592 kB
>> PageTables:        69228 kB
>> NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
>> Bounce:                0 kB
>> WritebackTmp:          0 kB
>> CommitLimit:     5790472 kB
>> Committed_AS:    9227052 kB
>> VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
>> VmallocUsed:      406168 kB
>> VmallocChunk:   34359270300 kB
>> HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
>> AnonHugePages:         0 kB
>> HugePages_Total:       0
>> HugePages_Free:        0
>> HugePages_Rsvd:        0
>> HugePages_Surp:        0
>> Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
>> DirectMap4k:      738496 kB
>> DirectMap2M:     3147776 kB
>
> I did not think so at first, but your problem is indeed memory
> consumption.  I am not, however, at all convinced that compiz has
> anything to do with that.
>
> However, as shown here, your total memory commit is over 9 GB, (and your
> commit limit should be 5 GB, which means your in territory where the
> kernel will feel free to start OOM killing, which would explain your
> periods of 'freezing up' while memory is sorting itself out.)   This is
> really not normal.  *Something* has to be grabbing all that memory.

I'm confused. Commit limit is correct if the
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio is set to default of 50, isn't it?

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
50

CommitLimit = ('vm.overcommit_ratio' * Physical RAM) + Swap
(.50 x 3743260) + 3918844 = 5790472

Commit_AS 9227052 is approx 63% of CommitLimit (579042) which doesn't
seem unreasonable (to me).

<https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc4/2.6.9-rc4-mm1/broken-out/add-documentation-for-new-commitlimit-and-commitavail-meminfo.patch>
+Committed_AS: The amount of memory presently allocated on the system.
+              The committed memory is a sum of all of the memory which
+              has been allocated by processes, even if it has not been
+              "used" by them as of yet. A process which malloc()'s 1G
+              of memory, but only touches 300M of it will only show up
+              as using 300M of memory even if it has the address space
+              allocated for the entire 1G. This 1G is memory which has
+              been "committed" to by the VM and can be used at any time
+              by the allocating application. With strict overcommit
+              enabled on the system (mode 2 in 'vm.overcommit_memory'),
+              allocations which would exceed the CommitLimit (detailed
+              above) will not be permitted. This is useful if one needs
+              to guarantee that processes will not fail due to lack of
+              memory once that memory has been successfully allocated.

Looking at my system with 3G of memory:

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        3013500 kB
MemFree:          175440 kB
Buffers:          168208 kB
Cached:          1205204 kB
SwapCached:           24 kB
Active:          1618556 kB
Inactive:         923644 kB
Active(anon):    1002680 kB
Inactive(anon):   327540 kB
Active(file):     615876 kB
Inactive(file):   596104 kB
Unevictable:          16 kB
Mlocked:              16 kB
SwapTotal:       5829984 kB
SwapFree:        5829572 kB
Dirty:                 4 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:       1168784 kB
Mapped:           131256 kB
Shmem:            161432 kB
Slab:             176120 kB
SReclaimable:     137348 kB
SUnreclaim:        38772 kB
KernelStack:        3424 kB
PageTables:        30256 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:     7336732 kB
Committed_AS:    3868808 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:      366460 kB
VmallocChunk:   34359364732 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
DirectMap4k:      104448 kB
DirectMap2M:     2971648 kB

My Commit_AS is approx 53% or my CommitLimit.