"Non-Fatal Error DRAM Controller" in log

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:43:28 UTC 2013

On 16 January 2013 10:09, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
> On one of my machines running Ubuntu 12.04, logcheck keeps throwing
> out stuff like the following at seemingly random times:
>
> [135573.308051] EDAC e752x: Non-Fatal Error DRAM Controller
> [135573.308057] EDAC e752x: Non-Fatal Error DRAM Controller
> [135573.308065] EDAC MC0: CE page 0x48142, offset 0x980, grain 4096, syndrome 0x682, row 2, channel 0, label "": e752x CE

The EDAC driver used to be hideously noisy (far worse than you're
seeing here), and it was quietened down quite a bit several years ago.
Still you're seeing quite a bit of action here, so I'd suggest the
following:

0. Pull and reseat all of your RAM.

1. Run a memtest for several hours, hopefully you'll get zero errors
(as these errors you're seeing are all Correctable Errors (CE). Any
errors means bad RAM.

2. Keep and eye on logcheck for a few hours - hopefully they go away.
If they don't, and everything keeps on ticking as normal, I'd ignore
them in logcheck.

--
Steve