machine load extreme peaking for short periods....mouse not moving etc.

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Wed Jan 16 02:43:52 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 08:05 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 03:30 PM, Peter Teuben wrote:
>

>> I figured my new i7 based 4GB memory SSD on / based laptop would make
>> this history.   I can't
>> believe this is still happening. Admittedly, 4GB on a 64bit machine is
>> theoretically
>> not much better than 2GB on a 32bit machine, but this is really crazy
>> that I have
>> to wait for the mouse to respond again for good fraction of a minute.
>> What is going on here,
>> is this is problem others have seen as well?
>>
>> peter
>>

> Others have already mentioned that 4GB is plenty for most normal use
> cases.
>
> What hardware did you keep from your old system to the new upgrade?
>
> After one of the PC fits, check the output of dmesg.
>
> Also, can you post here the output of 'free' and 'cat /proc/meminfo'

the laptop is completely new hardware, but I did copy over all user
account settings,
basically re-using my $HOME.

free
Mem:       3743260    3495904     247356          0      27360     755152
-/+ buffers/cache:    2713392    1029868
Swap:      3918844    1451692    2467152

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        3743260 kB
MemFree:          277100 kB
Buffers:           27108 kB