server outage - which logs are relevant?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Mon Jan 14 19:49:44 UTC 2013

Hello group,

I don't know if this is the best list so if there are suggestions for
a better place please let me know.

I help manage a VPS using Ubuntu 10.04.4. It's right up to date with
patches; it uses fail2ban to ward off nasties, apparently
successfully. Every night at midnight logwatch is run and mails me the
output, no surprises there just long boring details about dns
resolution failures and failed login attempts.

But twice in six months the virtual machine has become unresponsive
during the daily backup which runs at midnight (for about three
minutes). Apart from these incidents the site gets 100% uptime.

A mail to the host and a quick reboot gets it back in business. There
are two people who get notified, by pingdom, if the computer fails to
serve pages, but we are both in the same time zone and in this case
both didn't notice until several hours had gone by. This VPS hosts
sites that are not overall mission critical for anyone but it is
upsetting nonetheless.

I've looked at the apache access and error logs but see nothing very
informative there. Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

--
If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise