Can one have a static IP wired network connection with failover to wireless?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 13 23:39:27 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 03:52 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 02:56:41PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/12/2013 06:53 AM, Chris Green wrote:
>> > I have a small server system on my home LAN running Ubuntu 12.10, it has
>> > a static IP (in the 192.168.1.x range).  It has a hard-wired Gigabit
>> > ethernet connection but I would like, if possible, to make so that if
>> > the hard-wired ethernet is lost for any reason (e.g. I trip over the
>> > wire, some one else vacuums it up, etc.) then the wireless connection
>> > can take over.
>> >
>> > Is this possible with a static IP?
>> >

>> Yes. I do this on all of my laptops when at home. If I unplug the hard
>> wire, wifi picks up and connects to the default AP.
>>
> ... but do they have static IP?  I know it works with dynamic, I have a
> laptop like yours.

Yes. See:

<http://paste.ubuntu.com/1529445/>

In this case the static IP is 192.168.7.102 for both eth0 and wlan0.
Notice that when I connect to wired from wireless the static IP address
gets assigned to eth0. When I pull the wired, the wireless is started
automatically & eth0 drops it's IP address.

Everything is standard network-manager configuration - 1 wired - 1 wireless.