Thoughts regular expressions in, for example sed

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sat Jan 12 21:45:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-13 at 05:03 +0800, Hormatzhan Yiltiz wrote:
> I suppose this thread can be marded as *solved*.

Agree.

>         > Anyway, I think it could happen if it is created from
>         scratch as
>         > something entirely new with another name, not supposed to be
>
> I figured out what Johnny means here.  For that entirely new thing, we
> need theoretical structures where it specifies the structure of
> language and specification (as, by the way, what regualer expressions
> do).

The first thing that must be done is justify why all the other
alternatives that already exist are not sufficient, such that we should
invent something entirely new.

Larry Wall (inventor of Perl), for example, is an accomplished linguist
and has thought long and hard about the theory and implementation of
natural languages in the design of Perl.  I've created a few small DSL's
(domain-specific languages) in my day and I'm quite confident that I, at
least, couldn't do better than Larry.