usb hard disk not getting recognized

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:24:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 9 January 2013 15:24, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dell USB hard disk not recognized in Gnome
>
> What do you mean "in Gnome"?  Unity sits on Gnome 3, is that what you mean?
>
> Sorry by Gnome I meant nautilus I do not see the hard disk in nautilus
that is what I
want to say.

> Which version of Ubuntu are you using?
>
> > Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:9013 Dell Computer Corp.
> > is the USB hard disk I inserted usual behavior if I insert a USB to the
> > Ubuntu 11.10 system on my laptop it
> > gets automatically detected and mounted

The PCI ID reported is wrong actually there is no pci id
I checked when the disk was not attached
sudo lsusb > without_disk
and when disk was attached
sudo lsusb >with_disk
and
diff without_disk with_disk
there was no difference

> Do you see it in Nautilus (in the left hand pane)?
>
> No I do not see it in Nautilus  (in the left hand pane) thats why I posted
it on list

> If not run dmesg before and after plugging it in.  Post the extra
> stuff added when you plug it in.

yes I did exactly the same
when the disk was not inserted to USB slot
cp /var/log/dmesg /home/abhi/dmesg_without_dell_usb
and after I inserted the USB disk (1 TB)
cp /var/log/dmesg /home/abhi/dmesg_with_dell_usb

and diff  /home/abhi/dmesg_with_dell_usb /home/abhi/dmesg_without_dell_usb
I got no output on screen so it means the kernel did not actually noticed
the disk at all.