Evince Save copy no longer works as expected

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:26:54 UTC 2013

2013/1/8 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
> On 01/08/2013 06:35 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2013/1/8 NoOp ...
>>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince?field.searchtext=form&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=>
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/492959 ?
>>
>> Thanks for the links. The first one was what helped me find:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/960856
>>
>> Any hints about other PDF viewers that support saving file with edited
>> fields? That's the most common thing I use a PDF viewer for.
>
> Both of the PDF's in that bug reporet 960586 are not 'saveable' & must
> be printed if you wish to retain the data. It is a setting in the PDF
> itself. If you open in acroread you will get this notice at the top:
>
> "Please fill out the following form. You cannot save data typed into
> this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for
> your records."
>
> And when you try to 'Save a copy':
>
> "Save a Blank Copy of this Form
> Data typed into this form will not ve saved. Adobe Reader can only save
> a blank copy of this form.
> Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your
> records: Print
>   Save a Blank Copy  Cancel"
>
> Were it me, I'd tag that bug as invalid. Then I'd file a different bug
> against Evince because it doesn't warn you about the above like acroread.
>
> If you'd like to experiment with a PDF form that you _can_ save with the
> data filled in try: <http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf>

So it is a feature after all… :P

So what I need to do is to ask those who provided the file if they can
change, and if there is a reason why they won't, I guess. It's just
strange that I'm not supposed to edit a file that is a piece of paper
that I can collect at any bank anyway. I could, of course, print them
out, but at the moment I'm out of black toner and my printer refuse to
print anything without until I replace the toner thing…

Well, thanks anyway for clearing this up.

Johnny Rosenberg