Ubuntu on UEFI and Win 8

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:40:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My suspicion about secure boot, is that it a first foot in the door.
> Can you see that it may become a fixed feature that cannot be disabled?
> I certainly see that it is a very strong possibility.
>
> With Windows owning 98% of the world desktop market,
> I can see that dual booting may at least become a tough
> if not impossible thing to do.
>
> So, hold on to you old non-secure-uefi hardware.
> You may very well need it in the future :)

I can see disabling it being made impossible in the future. Hopefully,
after that's done, we'll still be able to add/remove keys unlike on
ARM.

If web browsers have or gain the ability to show that secure boot's
enabled, I can also see banks, for example, requiring secure boot in
the future for logging to an account (with MS marketing and PR
help!)...