Ubuntu on UEFI and Win 8

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Jan 7 22:07:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 14:06 -0700, JD wrote:

> My suspicion about secure boot, is that it a first foot in the door.
> Can you see that it may become a fixed feature that cannot be disabled?
> I certainly see that it is a very strong possibility.
>
> With Windows owning 98% of the world desktop market,
> I can see that dual booting may at least become a tough
> if not impossible thing to do.
>
> So, hold on to you old non-secure-uefi hardware.
> You may very well need it in the future :)

My hope is that open source is becoming used by a sufficient number of
powerful interests (governments, military, stock exchanges, banks, movie
studios, NASA) that a stop will be put on this stupidity.

Or somebody with sufficient fiscal muscle such as Google will market
their own motherboards.

There's some interesting reading over at fsf.org such as a free BIOS
campaign/coreboot.

Dave