Replacment for M$ MAPPOINT

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 6 19:45:38 UTC 2013

On 01/06/2013 05:01 AM, Grizzly wrote:
> Does anyone have (or know) a replacement for M$ Mappoint on Ubuntu (or any
> Linux I guess) or know if it is possible to install & run under wine
>
> For anyone who is not familiar with Mappoint, its a GPS enabled Route finder
> like AutoRoute but far better.
>
> Web based route finders (GoogleEarth, GoogleMaps etc) are out, one they are
> to slow and require a connection to web
>
> even here under bast case both Google map things hang and drag when moving
> around

Quantum GIS
<http://qgis.org/>

http://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-mappoint/
add the OpenLayers plugin via the openlayers git repository:
http://qgis.org/git/openlayers.git
and you can add OpenStreetMaps, Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc., map layers. See:
<http://hub.qgis.org/projects/openlayers>
<http://openlayers.org/>
<http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/>
Also add the OpenstreetMap plugin via the main QGIS repository.

Others:
<http://alternativeto.net/software/quantum-gis/>