How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:30:19 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>
> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>
> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>
> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.

Have "/etc/default/dnsmasq", "/etc/dnsmasq.conf", "/etc/dnsmasq.d/",
and "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq" (and any symlinks to the latter in
"/etc/rcX.d/") been deleted by uninstalling dnsmasq-base?

Not quite what you want:

Why don't you re-install dnsmasq and use it as a forwarding and
caching dns server. You can disable its dhcp-server feature with
"no-dhcp-<something>" (I've forgotten what "<something>" is) in
"/etc/dnsmasq.conf".