How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sat Jan 5 15:33:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:28:01PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>
> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>
> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>
> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
>
> What do I have to do?

IIRC you have to apt-get purge dnsmasq.

Elaboration: dnsmasq is a tiny package that depends on dnsmasq-base
(which has the dnsmasq server) and installs /etc/init.d/dnsmasq (which
runs the global dnsmasq server).  Now /etc/init.d/dnsmasq is a conffile,
like all files in /etc.  When you remove a package, its conffiles are
left in place -- which means removing the dnsmasq will still keep the
startup script so the global dnsmasq will continue to run.
When you purge a package, its conffiles are removed as well.

This is a bug in the dnsmasq package, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't
found the time to report it.

Marius Gedminas
--
99 little bugs in the code,