Off topic. RE: Core temp. Dear Felix...

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 3 09:13:23 UTC 2013

On 03/01/13 12:50, compdoc wrote:

[prune]

> 5) Right now, I have a 95w, quad-core Bulldozer sitting on my build table
> that came with a very nice heat-pipe cooler designed for the CPU by AMD.
> (retail box) At idle the fan is spinning at 3245 rpm, and the CPU
> temperature is 41C/105F. It's a variable-speed fan that is capable of
> running a lot faster. It often jumps to 3308 rpm as I watch the cpu creep to
> 42C/107F in the bios screen. (I have the house heating because it's cold
> outside)
>
> So please, explain how increased airflow is not the correct solution if a
> person desires a cooler temperature?
>
> Or maybe add something meaningful to the conversation? Otherwise I suggest
> you keep the 'utter nonsense' statements to yourself and stfu.

Me thinks that it is you who should be made to 'stfu' because as someone
offering help you are not doing so but only flapping your ears.

And you work on computers for a living?!

Tell us what your repair shop is called, please.

You CANNOT get the temperature of the cpu or the mobo (or the inside of
the computer case) below the ambient temperature UNLESS you are using
refrigerated (or similar) cooling system.

So, the base line for the temperature is the ambient temperature of the
environment in which the computer is working.

If you take your computer into the Death Valley National Park and use it
at midday there is NO way you are going to get the temperature of the
cpu etc down below the ambmient temperature of ~49c even if you use the
biggest fan available from any part of the world. Unless you are using
some sort of refrigerated cooling device - but even with these there is
a bottom limit to what these can cool something (a normal air
conditioning system is capable of cooling your house to ~12 degrees C
below the outside ambient temperature). OK, so you are a SA and can use
liquid nitrogen to cool your system - in which case I bow to your
ability to keep your cpu cool in the middle of Death Valley using this
method.

Every cpu manufacturer provides specifications about their cpus and give
the max. temperature at which they are manufactured to operate. The
first place therefore is to go to the manufacturer's site and find out
what that temperature is. If your cpu is operating at that max.
temperature then you should worry. If it is well below that then smile
and be happy. But remember: the operating temperature is the AMBIENT
temperature plus the heat generated when the cpu is pushed to its limit.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.5 & kernel 3.6.10-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor