Transcription software?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:13:47 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 12:47 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
> A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
> position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
> recordings into text.
>
> I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
> needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
> running a text editor at the same time.
>
> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
All you have to do is untar it and run
sh scribe
it will indeed belch out some errors, which do not seem
to prevent the gui from coming up.
It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard coded.
To wit:
(scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
The connection is closed
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
> that can be recommended?
None at this time, but I am sure there are individuals who will take note
of this and bring something into the repositories.